What is love definition?
Below are the various definitions of love.
Love can be defined in different ways by different people, depending on your own understanding of what love is all about.
Love is a strong feeling of deep affection for somebody or something. It involves many different feelings, but when one loves, one avoids hurting others.
Love is accepting others as they are without trying to change them. It is a warm, affectionate feeling, attachment or likeness of oneself and others.
Love is the ability to tolerate others, even in difficult situations. Love can also be defined as the only healing to a wounded soul.
Ways to define Love
1.”Love is a strong feeling of deep affection for somebody or something”
2.”Love is an intense feeling of affection you feel”
3.”Love is a burning desire that cannot be easily quenched”
4.”Love is a passionate feeling that goes beyond ordinary like for something or someone”
5. ” Love is a hole in the heart” by Ben Hecht
6. ” Love is a grave mental disease” by Plato
7. “Love is Desperate madness” according to John Ford
8. “Love is a sentimental measles” Charles Kingsley
9. “Love is a mutual understanding” according to Oscar Wilde
10. Love is a very strong emotion for something or someone
Definitions of Love by Dictionaries
1. “A great interest and pleasure in something” according to English Oxford Living Dictionary
2. “An affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interest” by Merriam Webster Dictionary
3. “Love means a strong feeling of affection and sexual attraction for someone” according to Lexico Dictionary
4. “Love means to like another adult very much and be romantically and sexually attracted to them, or to have strong feelings of liking a friend or person in your family” by Cambridge Dictionary
5. “Love means a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person” according to Dictionary
6. “Love is an experience one person feels for another” according to Wikipedia
7. Love means a feelings of tenderness towards something or someone
8. Love is an intimate feeling for something or someone
9. Love means to have or develop sexual desire
10. Love means to develop passion, concern and feelings for someone or something.
11. Love means to like something because it is good
12. Love means to take delight in something or someone.
Bible Definitions of Love
The Holy Bible in 1 Corinthians 13:4- 8 (Good News Bible) summarized love in the following ways:
- Love is patient and kind.
- It is not jealous or conceited or proud.
- Love is not ill-mannered or selfish or irritable
- It does not keep a record of wrongs.
- It is not happy with evil but is happy with the truth.
- Love never gives up, and its faith and patience never fail.
- Love is eternal.
Types of Love
There are different types of love and they includes:
#1. Self Love: This kind of love involves acceptance and believing in oneself. It is important to know that before you can love others, you need to be able to love yourself first.
#2. Friendship love: This type of love exists between friends who like each other, show commitment to one another, and share deep and intimate feelings with one another. This love can also be called philia love. Which means, brotherly love.
#3. Romantic Love: This love is characterized by intimacy and passion. It involves total absorption with strong feelings of elation, sexual desire and arousal. It is equally called eros love.
#4. Agape Love: This type of love is also called the divine love. It is the natural love of God for humanity.
Synonyms of Love
tenderness, fondness, predilection, warmth, passion, adoration, adore, adulate, liking, inclination, regard, friendliness, intimacy, attachment, worship, etc.
What is the Bible’s definition of love?
St. Paul in 1 Cor. 13:4-18 (NIV) states that Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Why is love so important?
Without love, our society, and the world at large will be full of hatred, violence and other social vices. But love has helped reduce all these inhumane acts.
- How to be a good girlfriend – 9 Things to do. - 23/11/2020
- Why Does Love Hurt in a relationship? 2 Major Reasons - 23/11/2020
- how to be More romantic In A relationship - 20/11/2020