Today, am going to share with you, the 14 interesting facts about Valentine’s day you don’t really know about. In other words, they are some mysteries behind the feast of Valentine.
St. Valentine’s day often called “Lovers day” is the most Romantic day of the year all over the world. In fact, “Lovers day” is a day of love. Most people receive their marriage proposal on Valentine’s day. Also, many relationships starts a day after the Valentine’s feast.
As an annual event celebrated on the 14th day of February, people exchange greetings, gift cards and flowers as a sign of love for one another.
Pope Gelasius I in AD 496, instituted the feast of Valentine’s day in celebration of the Christian Martyr, Saint Valentine of Rome, who died on 14th February in AD 269.
Today, I’ m going to share with you about 14 things you don’t really know about Valentine’s day. Starting from the Chocolate box, funny facts about valentine, the total number of gift cards people receive every year, etc. But before then, let’s go a little more deeper on the history of Valentine.
Valentine’s Day History
According to Research, this holiday has its origin from the Roman festival of Lupercalia, often celebrated in the mid-February. In other words, Lovers day (Valentine) has been in existence for a while.
St. Valentine was a priest who served in the third century in Rome. As of that time, Emperor Claudius II passed a decree that all Soldiers are forbidden to marry from henceforth. That single men makes good Soldiers than those with wives and families. Valentine defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. His action was later discovered and the Emperor (Claudius II) ordered that he be put to death.
After his death on February 14th in AD 269, Pope Gelasius I in AD 496 established the feast of Valentine to be celebrated in honour of the Christian Martyr St. Valentine of Rome.
Facts about Valentine’s Day
1. In 1537, King Henry VII of England officially declared February 14th the holiday of St. Valentine’s day.
2. The chocolate box has been around for more than 10 years. The first Valentine’s day box of Chocolates was introduced by Richard Cadbury in 1868.
3. People purchase over $1 Billion worth of Chocolates in the US on Valentine’s day.
4. More than 35 Million heart-shaped boxes of Chocolates are sold for Valentine’s day.
5. Men spend twice as much on Valentine’s day as women do.
6. Of all Valentine’s day gifts, women purchase approximately 85% while men purchase only 15%.
7. Of people who buy Flowers for Valentine’s day, 73% are men, why only 27% are women.
8. 220,000 is the average number of wedding proposals on Valentine’s day each year.
9. Every Valentine’s day, the Italian city of Verona, where Shakespeare’s lovers, Romeo & Juliet lived, receives about One Thousand Letters addressed to Juliet.
10. People exchange about 141 Million Valentine’s day cards annually. In other words, Valentine’s day is the 2nd-most popular greeting-card-giving occasion after Christmas.
11. About 50% of Singles are proud of their Relationship status.
12. 49% of adults do not plan to celebrate Valentine’s day this year.
13. 53% of Women say they would break up with their significant other if they got nothing for Valentine’s day.
14. About 1M + (One Million Plus) Facebook users change their Relationship status within four days of Valentine’s day.
Why do we Celebrate Valentine’s day?
Valentine’s day is a very remarkable day in which we express our affection to our family, friends and loved ones.
It is a day St. Valentine was murdered as a result of his effort in helping Roman Soldiers get married when they were forbidden to.
And also, for ministering to Christians persecuted under the Roman empire.
Therefore, we celebrate Valentine’s day in honour of his death.
Valentine is know as the Patron saint of Lovers. More so, his way of life (love life) has made great impact in the human race.
Valentine Cards sent each Year?
People receive about 141 Million Valentine’s day cards every year. In other words, Valentine’s day is a very remarkable event all over the world.
Who Gets the Most Valentines on Valentine’s day?
According to Research, men spend twice of what women spend on Valentine’s day when it comes to spending.
Women purchase about 85% of gifts on Valentine’s day, while men purchase only 15%.
In terms of flowers, men purchase about 73%, while women purchase about 27% of flowers.
Valentine’s day Chocolate facts
Valentine’s day is complete with the use of flowers and candy. In fact, people purchase about 1$ Billion worth of Chocolates on Valentine’s day.
Infographic of Valentine’s day Facts
Below are some interesting Infographic of Valentine’s day facts by Maidenstride.
I hope you enjoyed the article. Say your mind in the comment box below.